Sunday, May 1, 2016

Villa-Lobos Symposium

In November 2012 the Escola de Comunicações e Artes da Universidade de São Paulo (ECA/USP) held a Villa-Lobos Symposium. The proceedings are available online.



At 341 pages, this is a major source for recent research. All the papers are in Portuguese, but each has an English abstract, and you can cut & paste text into a translator website (I use Google's). Here are a few papers I'm planning on reading more carefully.


Villa re-used his own music throughout his career. I'm especially interested in the Magdalena story.



This chart will be useful!



This article looks fascinating! It's not often I have a chance to connect Villa-Lobos and Canada. This is an examination of Choros no. 6 and the Introduction to Choros in the light of R. Murray Schafer's "Soundscape" idea.



I'll let you explore the rest on your own. I expect I'll be posting about some of these ideas over the next few months.



No comments:

Post a Comment