Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Blogger

Blogger is about to turn 10 years old. Time to reminisce!

I've been blogging at The Villa-Lobos Magazine for most of those ten years - my first post was in October 2001. I learned about blogging from Peter Scott at a Netspeed Conference in Calgary, and could see right away that a blog would solve my "What's New" problem at the Villa-Lobos Website (which has been up and running since 1996, by the way).

Those were heady days in the Villasphere: Prof. Tarasti announced the Villa-Lobos Paris Conference, Daniella Thompson published "Stalking Stokowski", and we began seeing reviews for the film Villa-Lobos: Uma Vida da Paixao.

The early posts are full of dead links, I'm afraid. You can no longer listen to the Live365 and Radio Sonicnet all-Villa-Lobos all the time stations. Still, it's nice to revisit some sites that are still in operation: Klassika - die deutschspachigen Klassikseiten is very cool, for example.

Over the years I've met so many very nice people from around the world thanks to The Magazine. I'm not surprised that Brazil has the second highest Blogger traffic after the U.S. - many Brazilians are avid followers of The Magazine, and many of those have Blogger sites of their own. Canada, by the way, is #5 in Blogger traffic. Since I turned on Google Analytics in October 2007, The Villa-Lobos Magazine has had about 100,000 visits from 170 countries/territories: the US is #1, Brazil is #2, and Canada #3.

Congratulations to Google on 10 years for Blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment