Saturday, December 15, 2007

Villa-Lobos Concerts

Twenty years ago, we were in the middle of the Villa-Lobos Centennial celebrations. Here's a New York Times article that shows what kind of activity there was in those days.

Now that Villa is 120, we're right back in another mini-boom of VL concerts. Villa's star has certainly risen these past few years! I've re-started the Villa-Lobos Concert Calendar, and the dates are filling up.

I'm struck by a number of things. First of all, the concerts are coming from around the world: Asia and Europe as well as the Americas. Secondly, it's no longer just about Bachianas Brasileiras #5. Once rare works are being programmed in multiple concerts. Next year you can hear the Ciranda das Sete Notas for Bassoon and Orchestra in New York, Berlin and Sydney, and the Saxophone Fantasy in Winnipeg, San Antonio and San Jose.

As I dig into the web more deeply, I'll be coming up with lots more concerts, especially from South America. Check the calendar regularly, so you can plan your Villa-Lobos listening. Also, send me a note about concerts I've missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment